The Mary Kom
Real Name :- Chungneijang Mary Kom Hmangte
Nickname :- Mary Kom, Magnificent Mary
Profession :- Indian boxer
Date of Birth :- 1 March 1983
Age (as in 2017) :- 34 Years
Birth Place :- Kangathei, Manipur, India
Zodiac sign :- Pisces
Nationality :- Indian
Hometown :- Kangathei, Manipur, India
School :- Loktak Christian Model High School at Moirang
St. Xavier Catholic School, Moirang
Education Qualifications :- Graduate
Religion :- Hindu
Father :- Mangte Tonpa Kom
Mother :- Mangte Akham Kom
Marital Status : Married
Husband : Karung Onkholer Kom
Net Worth: ₹3.32 crore
Hobbies :- Travelling
Height : 5′ 2″
Weight : 51 Kg
Body measurement: 33-24-34
Eye Colour : Black
Hair Colour : Black
Gopal Devang, M. Narjit Singh, Charles Atkinson, Rongmei Josiah.
Records (main ones)
- Her first career win came in 2000 when she won the Best Boxer Award at the First State Level Invitation at the women’s boxing championship in Manipur.
- In 2008, she participated at the Asian Women’s Boxing Championship in India where she won a silver medal.
- In Kazakhstan Mary won the gold medal at the Asian Women’s Boxing Championship in 2010.
- In 2012, women’s boxing featured as an Olympic sport in the Summer Olympics in London for the first time. Mary did succeed in securing a place at the events and won a bronze medal.
- In 2014 Asian Games, held in Incheon, South Korea, she won a Gold Medal in Flyweight category.
Mary Kom with her Husband
Mary Kom with her children
Mary Kom with her family
Some lesser known facts :-
- Mary Kom is a high school dropout though. Mary Kom later on finished her schooling through alternative ways and even completed her graduation.
- Her biggest inspiration was Dingko Singh who won the gold medal in boxing in 1998 Asian Games.
- As a young girl she faced vehement opposition from her parents regarding her choice of a career as a boxer.
- Mary Kom is the only Indian female boxer to qualify for, and win a medal in the Olympics.
- Mary Kom is the only female boxer to win a medal in six consecutive world championships.
- Mary Kom is the first Indian woman boxer to win a gold medal in the Asian Games.
- Mary Kom, along with Sanjay and Harshit Jain, bore the Queen’s Baton in the opening ceremony run in the stadium for the 2010 Commonwealth Games of Delhi.
- Mary Kom is the first amateur athlete to win the Padma Bhushan.
- Mary Kom is the first amateur to surpass several professional athletes in India in earnings, endorsements and awards.